Monday, March 5, 2012

Life After the Flyer

So, after the flyer from FMC God, my husband and I decided to pray about going on a mission trip instead of that awesome couples cruise.  We decided that we would go on a short term mission to "check it out."  We decided that it would be best to leave the kids behind until we were sure it was safe to bring them on a mission to a foreign country.

Last Wednesday led us back to Our Lady of the Bayou's Retreat Center for the FMC's weekly Formation (pot luck supper & prayer).  The place was packed.  We immediately felt that warm welcome as we opened the door.   I'm not usually one to like to venture into a crowd of people I don't know.  I'm not usually comfortable in large crowds unless its close friends or family.  Yet, I have never worried or had anxiety about this place or meeting all these new people.  The warmth and kindness felt there is indescribable.  The kids found their friends that they had met the last few times we'd been there and quickly made new ones.  We did too!

Anyway, after the meal, the adults gathered for prayer as the kids went off to pray and play in the Chapel.  I was halfway listening to the bible passage being read because I was so in awe at how "at home" I felt in this place.  The one thing that I heard was "Children are the best missionaries."  I immediately focused back on the speaker to make sure that's what was said.  Again, "Children are the best missionaries." In the next half hour, it must have been repeated at least 30 times.

I looked over at my husband to see if he had "gotten" this message as loudly as I had.  He didn't quite look as convinced as me.  I knew in my heart that he was still worried about the safety of our kids in a foreign country.  I whispered a prayer to God to make it more clear for both of us.  I reminded Him that my husband is going to need more "convincing" if we are truly suppose to bring the whole family on a mission.  He is a very protective husband and father. 

The next thing I heard was the founder of the company begin to tell about how safe he feels on the missions.  He continued to talk about the dangers right here in our own country compared to the dangers surrounding their mission posts.  My prayer was answered.  Mr. Frank closed with a very profound statement that I've been thinking about all week (paraphrased but you'll get the point), "What's so bad about dying doing God's work and going to Heaven to meet Him face to face?"

Once again what "we" decided to do, doesn't seem to be what He wants us to do.  So, back to praying for more concrete signs once again!  I see a billboard in our future!



No comments:

Post a Comment