Sunday, May 20, 2012

I Never Want to See Another Cookie

We are now in the final days before our very first mission trip.  My to-do list is getting longer and longer by the minute.  Each time I check one thing off, I seem to add two more things to the bottom of the list.  With all the things I still need to do or take care of, I haven't been able to sleep at night. 

Since I couldn't sleep and baking was on my to-do list, I got up at 5:30 am yesterday and began baking for our FMC Pentecost Mission Trip.  I thought I'd get it all done early in the day, so that I could tackle some of the other things on my list. (Did not happen.)  I started by baking blueberry muffins for my family's breakfast, so that no one would interrupt my baking.  I made my coffee and said my rosary in peace while everyone was sleeping.  Soon, the smells of goodies baking escaped the kitchen and entered the bedrooms (and noses) of the kids.  One by one they came, ate, and stayed to help for a moment or two.  Then one by one the left me alone.

I cranked up my new missionary CD---The Ananias Project on my computer.   What better way to bake for a mission trip bake sale, then while listening to the songs and sounds from missions!  So, I sang, and I baked and baked and baked and baked and....  I baked numerous kinds of cookies, several cakes, different kinds of brownies, and other yummy desserts.

One of the girls periodically came to check on me and lend a hand.  During one of her visits, she watched in shock as I scraped every bit of the cake batter into the pan, not leaving any behind, and then rinsed the bowl in the sink BEFORE licking it.  (It doesn't matter what kind of dough or batter it is, I ALWAYS leave batter and then lick the bowl.)  Later in the day, one of the boys came in and witnessed the same thing.  He to wanted to know what was wrong with me as he snatched the bowl just before the faucet water hit it.  He stared at me with his "Are you crazy?" look as he tried to lick the scraped bowl.

That's when I realized that I never wanted to see another cookie or cake again!  So, I began baking homemade breads to sell.  I baked various kinds of breads until 10:00 pm Saturday night.  Luckily, my mother-in-law was in town and took care of feeding us real food for lunch and supper.  This morning we loaded up the car and headed to the bake sale.  After staring at three tables full of cookies and cakes this morning, it was confirmed--I NEVER WANT TO SEE ANOTHER COOKIE OR CAKE AGAIN!

And guess what I was asked to cut and serve to the kids at youth group tonight? A COOKIE CAKE!

No comments:

Post a Comment